A delightful kidney -and Cannellini bean soup, served with vegetables and a choice of pancetta, bacon or ham. Perfect for those cold winter days.
- 1/2 cup kidney beans soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling on bread
- 1/2 pound diced pancetta, bacon or ham
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 quarts chicken stock, plus extra water if needed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 2 heads Lacinata kale (optional), stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 loaf Italian peasant bread, cut into thick slices
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, for serving
- Place the beans in a medium pot, add water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down, let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until just-tender.
- In a large soup pot, gently heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the pancetta, bacon or ham rendering the fat and cooking until slightly crispy (about 3 minutes).
- Saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Add the diced tomatoes, the cooked and drained kidney beans, cannellini beans, chick peas, and the chicken stock.
- Add the herbs and the bay leaf to the pot.
- Season with the red chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, then add the kale.
- Continue cooking until the beans are completely tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drizzle olive oil over the slices of peasant bread, season with a little salt and pepper and toast in the oven.
- Serve the soup in large bowls with grated Parmesan and a slice of toast.
Enjoy with Wedderwill 17ºC red blend or Syrah.